Friday, August 21, 2009

Under construction

After the formal party ran down, Rahul talked me into another evening with his friends. I am glad I grabbed a nap earlier in the day. Vinod’s place was a flat near campus, as he has a job near the university, similar in size and construction to Ashutosh’s place in Delhi. It is interesting how flats all seem to be the same size and style across different states. Cost cutting techniques I will assume for now.

There were five of us in all, and we decided, since it was a beautiful night out, not too hot or humid, that we would head to a nearby hilltop to enjoy the evening scenery. When I was told hilltop, I was thinking of the serene rolling hills of southern Indiana, but what I discovered was that hilltop actually means mountain cliff face.. Add that to the things I wish I would have known before arriving.

We arrive at a partially constructed roof top, for a future flat I assume, that overlooked the lights of Jaypee University. Looking over the edge was not advised, as the steep 300-foot drop is a bit disorienting. So precariously situated, we chatted the night away, sharing stories about our respective locations of childhood and our current life states. It was another good night of getting to know so of Rahul’s college buddies. At the end of the antics, we wandered back to Vinod’s flat nearby and crashed out for the night.

Tomorrow we discover the infamous city of Shangra La Shimla!

No comments:

Post a Comment