Friday, August 21, 2009

Hanging out, India style

It is fairly common for a group of friends to spend a few hours in a flat, hotel room, or in the hostels talking, making jokes or sharing stories of their lives. I was lucky enough to get to join in on this experience, and most of the guys in the room spoke decent English too, a bonus for me as I could hold my own conversations without Rahul for once!

I got to meet several of Rahul’s friends over the evening, but spent most of my time talking to one of his junior’s Prateek. Prateek is finishing up his studies in Engineering, but his passion lies in directing. Which is what fascinated me the most. In the past month he directed three different performances including a stage play, an independent film and a street performance. Maybe he will become the next big director in the Bollywood scene.

During our chat Prateek told me a very deep piece of advice, one that I have followed for many years but have rarely put in to words—‘you have to follow your passions in life; they are all that really matter.’

No comments:

Post a Comment