Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Punjab, in all its glory

After we left Shimla and the state of H.P., we headed towards Punjab. More specifically we were on our way to Amritsar, the home of the Golden Temple. I explain more about that in another post. If you happen to find yourself traveling in the northern states of India, this is a place I would strongly recommend visiting.

Amritsar is a city rich with history, mostly conflict related, and the state of Punjab is interestingly split between Pakistan and Hindustan (India) along the Bagha border. This border is currently the only open link between India and Pakistan. Every day at sunset, a ceremony occurs at this border that we plan on attending in the next day or two. I will keep you updated when we get a chance to head up there. I hear it is quite the show.

The people, at least for the most part, are kind-hearted, and open to travelers of their state. It was in Punjab where the fact that I was different seemingly melted away for the first time in my travels. People smiled at me before I even tried, when I greeted them they returned the favor, and several strangers approached me to strike up random conversations. It was almost as awkward in some respects as being stared at all day long, although it was a comforting awkwardness.

I hope the next day here in Amritsar is just as kind to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment